Roby and Northern Railroad

By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995

The Roby and Northern Railroad Company was chartered on May 5, 1915, to build from Roby north to a junction with the Texas Central Railroad, a distance of five miles. The road had a capital of $10,000, and the business office was located at Roby. Members of the first board of directors included G. L. White (president), L. C. Eastland (vice president), George F. Beavers, and George F. Sturgis, all of Hillsboro, and L. H. McCrea, J. McWhirter, W. R. Timmons, and O. C. Walker, all of Roby. Rails and other materials were obtained from the abandoned Estacado and Gulf Railroad, and the road was placed in service between Roby and North Roby on January 3, 1916. At time the 4½-mile line owned two locomotives, two freight cars, and one passenger car. Earnings for 1916 included $679 in passenger revenue, $9,040 in freight revenue, and $39 in other revenue. The West Texas Utilities Company acquired the Roby and Northern and converted it to electric operation in 1923. By 1931 the R&N was listed as a Class III road by the Railroad Commission and owned one locomotive, one freight car, and three passenger cars. Earnings for the year included $3,106 in passenger revenue, $8,844 in freight revenue, and $2,765 in other revenue. The road discontinued operations on December 31, 1941, and was abandoned the following year.

B. W. Aston, "Roby Gets a Railroad," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 52 (1976).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Roby and Northern Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995