Rock Creek, TX (Johnson County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Rock Creek, a community center for farmers, was near the headwaters of Rock Creek in northwestern Johnson County. It developed in the middle to late 1850s, when settlers discovered a natural well, formed by steep rock walls, that held water fed from several springs. A post office operated there from 1858 to 1860. During the Civil War residents organized the Rock Creek Guards under the command of James H. Dunn. The community had been abandoned by 1865.

Johnson County History Book Committee, History of Johnson County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Rock Creek, TX (Johnson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rock-creek-tx-johnson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Rock Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Johnson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.45875120°
  • Longitude: -97.45363080°