Rock Hill, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Updated: January 19, 2021


Rock Hill is twelve miles southwest of Canton between State Highway 198 and Farm roads 19 and 1256 in southwest Van Zandt County. A local school was built in 1889 and had an enrollment of sixty-eight White students in 1906; a school for Black children had an enrollment of 100 in the same year. Both schools were consolidated with the Martins Mill district in 1946. The first church built in the community was constructed by the Assembly of God in 1960. The community suffered a decline in population when World War II drew workers to defense plants in nearby cities, and by 1988 population estimates for the town were unavailable. The J. W. Dickerson farm was at one time the home of Western singer Box Car Willie.

Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Rock Hill, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rock-hill-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995
January 19, 2021

Place
Rock Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1345378
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.64624260°
  • Longitude: -95.94274510°