Rockford, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Rockford is on Farm Road 1497 fourteen miles southeast of Paris in southeastern Lamar County. It was settled prior to 1900 and named for its location on a rocky ford of the North Sulphur River. A post office operated at the settlement from 1891 to 1909. Rockford had a population of twenty-five and one business in 1940. After World War II many of the residents moved out of the area, and by the mid-1960s the town's only store had closed. In the early 1990s Rockford was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Rockford, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rockford-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading