Rockwall, TX (Hill County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Rockwall was at a site four miles from Iverson in northeastern Hill County. One source suggests that sometime after the Civil War seventy families settled at the site near a spring. Soon thereafter, they constructed a square structure from local rock (Austin chalk) that according to a deed from a Mr. Revis could only be used for "Christian purposes." The families added a new roof and used the structure for a school. Apparently Rockwall was named for this structure. The spring became known as Rockwall Spring and was used as a watering place for cattle. Rockwall has not appeared on state highway maps in the twentieth century.

Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian Press, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Rockwall, TX (Hill County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rockwall-tx-hill-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Rockwall
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hill County