Rocky Branch, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Rocky Branch is on U.S. Highway 259 five miles northeast of Daingerfield in east central Morris County. It was named for the site of a sawmill and gristmill established in the late 1870s. A post office opened in 1890 and remained in operation until 1904. In 1896 the community had a population of fifty. By 1915 it had a population of 100, the sawmill operated by Nat Wright, and a general store operated by J. P. Forsyth. By the 1930s the population had declined to fifty and the businesses to two. From 1974 through 1986 the population of Rocky Branch was reported as 120. The community had two churches and a community center but no businesses. Nearby was the Primitive Baptist Church of Christ, which was organized in April 1854. The church obtained a building that year that was used as a meetinghouse and school and was still in use as a church in 1989. In 1990 the population of Rocky Branch was 135. The population remained the same in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Rocky Branch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rocky-branch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Rocky Branch
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378975
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Morris County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.11151320°
  • Longitude: -94.69798360°
Population Counts
People Year
135 2009