Rocky Crossing, TX

By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Rocky Crossing was seven miles west of Mexia in northern Limestone County. It was named for a rock ford on the Navasota River. Davey Taylor, a former slave, founded the Rocky Crossing church under a brush arbor in the 1870s. Residents of the predominantly black community soon built a school, which then provided meeting space for the church as well for several years. The Rocky Crossing school had eighty-three students and one teacher in 1896. Rocky Crossing was associated with the Woodland school district by the 1930s. A church and a few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s, but the site was inundated after the construction of Lake Mexia in the early 1960s.

Walter F. Cotton, History of Negroes of Limestone County from 1860 to 1939 (Mexia, Texas: Chatman and Merriwether, 1939).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • African Americans

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Rocky Crossing, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rocky-crossing-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading