Rocky Mound, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Rocky Mound is on Farm Road 1521 four miles northwest of Pittsburg in northwestern Camp County. The original settlement was a black community centered around a school, which in 1897 employed two teachers and served the area's seventy-eight children. By 1908 the community also had a church, sometimes referred to as Rocky Mountain Church. By 1935 the schools in that portion of the county had been consolidated into the Sheppard Common School District, and the school for black children was located near Harvard. In 1948 the community had two churches and a cemetery. In the 1970s residents voted to incorporate Rocky Mound. In 1980 the town had a population of 123; by that time the population was no longer exclusively black. In 1990 the population was fifty-three. The population reached ninety-three in 2000.

Hollie Max Cummings, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Camp County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Rocky Mound, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rocky-mound-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Rocky Mound
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2412567
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Camp County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.02099270°
  • Longitude: -95.02242100°
Population Counts
People Year
53 1990
93 2000
75 2010
74 2018