Rogers Ranch, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Updated: September 28, 2020


Rogers Ranch was a small community located near Farm Road 2001 seven miles northwest of Lockhart in northwestern Caldwell County. It was named for Martha A. and C. M. Rogers, whose ranch in the 1880s covered portions of Caldwell, Hays, and Travis counties. The property was divided into lots and sold in the 1890s, and part of the southeastern section, located in Caldwell County, became the Rogers Ranch community. Many families who bought the land were Germans from the New Braunfels area, and for several years their church services and school were conducted in both German and English; Mexican immigrants and Blacks also made up a significant part of the new community. A combination bowling alley and community center was built in 1910 but burned in 1920. Separate school and church facilities for Whites, Blacks, and Mexicans existed in the community until the 1930s or 1940s. The Rogers Ranch schools were consolidated with the Lockhart Independent School District in 1950. Most of the family farms at Rogers Ranch were gradually bought out by larger operations, and by the early 1960s two or three cemeteries were all that marked the site.

Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984). Plum Creek Almanac, Spring 1986.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Rogers Ranch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rogers-ranch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995
September 28, 2020

Place
Rogers Ranch
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.97307400°
  • Longitude: -97.73536700°