Rollingwood is near Loop 360 six miles west of Austin in southwestern Travis County. It was founded and developed by George B. Hatley in 1955. By May 1963 the community incorporated as a municipality with a mayor-council form of government. Its population in 1960 was 390; by 1970 it was 780. It is a residential suburb of Austin. Rollingwood maintained its own police services and volunteer fire department. It had five small service businesses and was part of the Eanes Independent School District in the late 1960s. The number of residents had increased to 905 by 1980, and to 1,376 by 1988. In 1990 the population was 1,388. The population was 1,403 in 2000.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Rollingwood, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 05, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rollingwood-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.