Rosborough Springs, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Rosborough Springs was on Farm Road 2625 and Rosborough Creek, eight miles south of Marshall in southern Harrison County. James Fears Rosborough, for whom the nearby creek was probably named, built a home on the site in the 1840s, and the community was named for the mineral springs on his property. Rosborough Springs had a post office in 1886–87 and a voting box in 1896. During the 1930s it was described as a popular health resort centered on a roofed and cemented springhouse enclosing some seven or eight springs. The community was also referred to as Rosborough Spa in 1948, when it had two churches, a business, and a park. By 1984 the remains of the health spa at Rosborough Springs included a horse farm, a two-story pavilion that was still a popular picnic site, and the springs themselves.

Jerome McCown, Scraps of the Early History of Marshall and Harrison County (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Rosborough Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rosborough-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Rosborough Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.43181990°
  • Longitude: -94.37575280°