Rosslyn, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995

Updated: November 8, 2017


Rosslyn, also known as White Oak, was a rural German community west of White Oak Bayou on what was then the western edge of Houston in west central Harris County. In the 1880s it had a population of 300. A post office was established in 1911 and discontinued in 1917, when mail was delivered from North Houston. In 1936 the community was listed on state highway maps. By 1982 Houston had grown around the two abandoned railroad stations that marked the site.

Harris County Home-Seekers Journal, 1888.

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities
  • Houston
  • Upper Gulf Coast
  • East Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Rosslyn, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rosslyn-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995
November 8, 2017

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Rosslyn
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1375829
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harris County
Associated Names

White Oak

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.83550410°
  • Longitude: -95.47938530°