Round Mott, TX

By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Updated: January 19, 2021


Round Mott, also known as Round Mott Community, is twenty-four miles northwest of Wharton on Farm Road 1300 in northwestern Wharton County. A post office was established there in 1888 and discontinued in 1890. A Round Mott school operated as early as 1905, when it had thirteen pupils and one teacher; local school enrollment reached fifty White and seven Black pupils, taught by two teachers, in 1926. The school was annexed to the El Campo school in 1951. State highway maps in 1936 showed a school, a church, two buildings, and multiple dwellings at the townsite. In 1989 the settlement was called Round Mott Community on state highway maps, but only the church and scattered dwellings remained.

Annie Lee Williams, A History of Wharton County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Round Mott, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 29, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/round-mott-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995
January 19, 2021

Loading