Round Timber, on Farm Road 2374 near the Throckmorton county line in southeast Baylor County, became the first permanent settlement in the county in 1874 when John W. Stevens built a cabin. Col. C. C. (Lum) Mills tried to settle there in the late 1850s or early 1860s, but hostile Indians forced him away; he returned in 1875. The site was named for two round clumps of trees useful for building material. In the mid-1890s the community was moved four miles northwest, where it prospered as a trading center for some years. The population declined to twenty-five in 1940 and ten in 1980. In 1990 it was recorded as eight. The population was two in 2000.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
William R. Hunt, “Round Timber, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/round-timber-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.