Roundup, TX


By: S. S. McKay

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Roundup, is on U.S. Highway 84, Farm Road 2130, and the Santa Fe Railroad, seventeen miles southeast of Littlefield in northeastern Hockley County. It was originally on the Spade Ranch and developed when the Santa Fe established a switch for shipping cattle, cotton, and grain in 1912. Railroad official W. H. Simpson suggested the name. The population was fifty in 1948, when the community had a gin, a store, an elevator, and a section house. The population was twenty-seven in 1980 and 1990. In 2000 the population dropped to twenty. Children attend school in Anton.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

S. S. McKay, “Roundup, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/roundup-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Roundup
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1366971
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hockley County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.76230980°
  • Longitude: -102.09711800°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009