Rucker, TX


By: Tracey L. Compton

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Rucker is on State Highway 6 and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad five miles northwest of De Leon in northern Comanche County. The settlement was named for Calvin Rucker, who established a gin there in 1890. Ira Harvey was the first mail carrier in the area, and Bob Lewis was the first postmaster. At one time the settlement had a one-room school located on land donated by Pat Johnson. The population was reported as twenty-five in 1940. As of 1976 the only business was the Lightfoot filling station, which opened in 1930. The community was still listed in 1990.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Tracey L. Compton, “Rucker, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 03, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rucker-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Rucker
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378994
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.16513910°
  • Longitude: -98.60282980°
Population Counts
People Year
28 2009