Ruliff, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Ruliff is on the Kansas City Southern Railway 1½ miles south of Deweyville and thirty-five miles northeast of Beaumont in extreme southeastern Newton County. The Ruliff station was established on the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway to serve Deweyville shortly after the line's construction through the area in 1898. Henry C. Braddock was appointed Ruliff's first postmaster in 1899. The Ruliff office was briefly relinquished to Hartburg in late 1900 and moved to Deweyville in 1908. However, it was reestablished at Ruliff from 1921 until 1928, when it was again moved to Deweyville. Ruliff had a population of 100 during the 1920s, but by the mid-1940s the number had fallen to forty. One business served the community at that time. Widely scattered buildings on the road to Deweyville and along the railroad, acquired by the Kansas City Southern in 1943, marked Ruliff in 1982.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Ruliff, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ruliff-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Ruliff
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378996
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Newton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.27409500°
  • Longitude: -93.73266610°