The Sabine and East Texas Railway Company was chartered as the East Texas Railway Company on April 29, 1880. On August 3, 1881, its name was changed to the Sabine and East Texas. In 1881 the company built thirty miles of track between Beaumont and Sabine Pass and twenty-four miles between Beaumont and Kountze. The next year the railroad was extended 48½ miles from Kountze to Rockland. On October 28, 1882, the 102-mile Sabine and East Texas was sold to the Texas and New Orleans and consolidated with that company. Thirty miles between Sabine Pass and Beaumont were badly damaged and partly washed away on October 12, 1886, but in 1887 were rebuilt. The 12½-mile-long section between Sabine Pass and West Port Arthur was abandoned in 1932, and the section north of Beaumont was not being operated in 1990.