Sabine and Neches Valley Railway

By: Catherine P. Eggers

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: June 1, 1995

The Sabine and Neches Valley Railway Company was chartered on November 4, 1921, to own and operate a railroad extending from Ruliff in a generally westerly direction to Gist, a distance of about thirteen miles. The line was chartered in the interest of the Peavy-Moore Lumber Company, which had a sawmill at Deweyville. The capital was $100,000, and the business office was in Deweyville. Members of the first board of directors were R. J. Wilson, J. P. Hull, and Cecil Smith, all of Deweyville; A. J. Peavy, R. T. Moore, and C. C. Cary, all of Shreveport, Louisiana; J. B. Smyth and C. E. Walden, both of Beaumont; and W. H. Managan of Westlake, Louisiana. On December 31, 1921, the Sabine and Neches Valley purchased from the Peavy-Moore Lumber Company 11.75 miles of tram road extending from Deweyville to Gist, a station on the Orange and Northwestern Railroad. Eight miles of this line extending west from Deweyville had originally been constructed by or for the Sabine Tram and Lumber Company and conveyed to Peavy-Moore on September 4, 1919. The latter company extended the line to Gist before the sale to the Sabine and Neches Valley. The railroad also operated a 1.5-mile spur of the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway, known as the Possum Bluff Spur, between Deweyville and Ruliff. Peavy-Moore log trains operated over the Sabine and Neches Valley. In 1925 the railroad was valued by the Railroad Commission at $139,124 and had its main offices at Shreveport, Louisiana. Passenger earnings in 1926 totaled $150, and freight earnings were $46,000. The company owned one locomotive and one car. On May 1, 1943, the Deweyville sawmill and capital stock of the railroad were acquired by the Newton County Lumber Company. However, in September 1944 the sawmill burned and was not rebuilt. With no traffic to support continued operation, the railroad virtually ceased running on September 21, 1944, and was officially abandoned on October 4, 1945.

Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Catherine P. Eggers, “Sabine and Neches Valley Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995