Sabine Baptist College, at Milam, opened in 1858 under the auspices of the Central Baptist Association. The institution closed during the Civil War because of lack of students but opened again in 1868 under the direction of the Bethlehem, the Mount Zion, the New Hope, and the Sabine Baptist associations. Each association was represented on the governing board. The college was directed by W. E. Maund. Because of financial difficulties it was closed permanently in 1870.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Colleges and Universities
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Marie Giles, “Sabine Baptist College,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sabine-baptist-college.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.