Sabine National Forest

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

The Sabine National Forest is east of Lufkin on Toledo Bend Reservoir near the Texas-Louisiana border. The preserve, which is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service local headquarters in Lufkin, has a total of 160,609 acres, with 64 acres in Jasper County, 95,410 acres in Sabine County, 4,317 acres in San Augustine County, 59,037 acres in Shelby County, and 1,781 acres in Newton County. The national forests in Texas were established by an act of the Texas legislature in 1933 authorizing the purchase of lands for the national forest system. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed these purchases on October 15, 1936. The national forests are managed on a multiple-use philosophy and are used for lumbering, grazing, oil production, hunting, and recreation. In fiscal year 1994, 93.8 million board feet of timber was harvested from the national forests in Texas, providing 2,098 jobs and $73,108,000 in income to the surrounding Texas communities. In addition, Texas ranchers with special permits could graze their cattle in the national forests. At the Sabine National Forest 102 head of cattle grazed in fiscal year 1994. Sabine National Forest has five parks with campgrounds: Indian Mounds, Lakeview, Ragtown, Red Hills Lake, and Willow Oak. The area is pine-hardwood woodlands with flat to rolling terrain. Four of the five parks are on Toledo Bend Reservoir. Red Hills, the only park not on the reservoir, has a seventeen-acre lake with a swimming beach. Recreational facilities in this national forest include camping and picnicking areas, boat ramps, and hiking trails.

George Oxford Miller and Delena Tull, Texas Parks and Campgrounds: North, East, and Coastal Texas (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1984).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Sabine National Forest,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995