The Sabine Pass, Alexandria and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered on September 22, 1892. The line was projected to connect Sabine Pass in Jefferson County with the Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway Company near Grafton in Wise County, along with a branch from San Augustine to Durst on the Tyler Southeastern Railway Company. The capital stock was $400,000, and the principal place of business was Tyler. Members of the first board of directors were Richard B. Hubbard, James P. Douglas, H. H. Rowland, J. D. Moody, Fred S. Mansfield, J. B. Douglas, and Ben B. Cain, all of Tyler. In 1896 the railroad began operating eight miles from Durst to Michelli. The railroad was originally recognized by the Railroad Commission as a common carrier, but the Sabine Pass, Alexandria and Northwestern was primarily a logging railroad and was abandoned by June 1901.