Sachse (Saxie) is on State Highway 78 three miles northeast of Garland and seventeen miles northeast of Dallas in far northeastern Dallas County and southern Collin County. The community was named for William C. Sachse and his wife, Elizabeth Straly Sachse. Mrs. Straly was a widow who received an original land grant of 320 acres patented in the Peters colony in 1846 and subsequently married Sachse, a native of Prussia. The settlement was formally established in 1886, when Sachse donated land for the right-of-way to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in exchange for naming the station Sachse. In that same year the town received a post office with the registered name of Saxie, which was changed in 1892 to Sachse. The population was 100 in 1900 and eighty in 1940, after which it rose steadily. In 1914 Sachse had its own bank, a Western Union station, three general stores, and telephone connections. It became the twenty-fifth incorporated town in Dallas County in April 1956, when the population was 250. By the 1980s the population had grown to more than 2,000, and Sachse had become a residential suburb of Garland. One business in town manufactured high-tech optical instruments. By 1990 Sachse spread into both Dallas and Collin counties and had a population of 5,000 and diverse businesses that included publishing and furniture making. The population grew to 9,751 in 2000.