Salem, TX [#2] (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Salem is off Farm Road 489 three miles west of Dew in south central Freestone County. In 1893 twenty-five black students were enrolled in the community school. Salem also had the Salem Church and the Negro Masonic Lodge no. 29. In the 1930s a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of dwellings were in the area, and in the 1960s the church, cemetery, and a few dwellings remained. By the late 1980s, however, only the church and cemetery marked the site on maps.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Salem, TX [#2] (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/salem-tx-2-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Salem
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1375914
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

2

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.57600530°
  • Longitude: -96.18052480°