Salona, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Salona is on a spur off Farm Road 1758 five miles southeast of Bowie in south central Montague County. Settlement of the community, which was originally named Bethel, occurred in the early 1870s. By the early 1880s the community had established a church and a school and chosen the name Salona. Between 1889 and 1905 a post office operated at the site. Throughout its history Salona has acted as a community center for area farmers. In the mid-1930s a school, a church, three businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings occupied the site. The population has never exceeded fifty. The last reported estimates, in the late 1940s, listed thirty residents. The community was still marked on highway maps of the 1980s.

Montague County Historical Commission, Story of Montague County (Dallas: Curtis, 1989).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Salona, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/salona-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Salona
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380481
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Montague County
Associated Names

Bethel

Lamb's Mill

Spat

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.54732910°
  • Longitude: -97.74780990°