Sampson, TX (Bell County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 28, 2020


Sampson was a railroad station and school community on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in northeastern Bell County, at the intersection of Farm Road 1237 with what later became Interstate Highway 35, some five miles north of Temple. The station probably dates from the 1880s. In the community was a rural school for Blacks called Sampson Hill that served fifty-five pupils in 1903. By 1963 the school was gone, and the station was no longer named on United States Topographical Survey maps.

Bertha Atkinson, The History of Bell County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Sampson, TX (Bell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sampson-tx-bell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 28, 2020

Place
Sampson
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County