Sampson, TX (Henderson County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Sampson was off Farm Road 1615 nine miles southeast of Athens in southern Henderson County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, and by the 1890s a dispersed agricultural community had developed, centered around a schoolhouse. As late as the mid-1930s a school and a number of houses were still located in the area. After World War II the school closed, and by the early 1990s only a few widely scattered houses remained.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Sampson, TX (Henderson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sampson-tx-henderson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Loading