The San Antonio Belt and Terminal Railway Company was chartered on May 2, 1912, in the interest of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas (Katy of Texas), to build terminal facilities in San Antonio. The establishment of a terminal at San Antonio began in August 1911, when the Katy of Texas acquired twenty-five acres from Benjamin F. Yoakum, then president of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad Company (Frisco), who had acquired the land in 1905 as part of a projected expansion of the Frisco system to San Antonio. The Katy of Texas, in turn, sold the land to the San Antonio Belt and Terminal in May 1913. Construction of the station, tracks, and terminal facilities began in 1916, and the terminal opened on September 1, 1917. The San Antonio Belt and Terminal was leased to the Katy of Texas for ninety-nine years beginning April 1, 1916, and was merged into the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company, successor to the Katy of Texas, on November 30, 1989.