On September 6, 1894, Dr. J. E. Harrison, with the aid of his wife and her sister, Miss Sara Walton, opened San Antonio Female College. Twelve students were in attendance. In 1890 the West End Town Company granted a tract of land to be used for a woman's college, and the West Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which was sponsoring the school, accepted the offer. The charter for the school was granted in 1898. The curriculum emphasized literature, and the school also offered devotional exercises and Bible study. In 1912–13 the catalog announced that the "college has the authority to confer Bachelor of Arts degrees," but in 1914 the school conferred only bachelor of literature, "mistress of literature," and bachelor of music degrees and diplomas in art, expression, physical training, Sunday school and Bible, violin, voice, and business training. In 1916 the college was recognized by the University of Texas as a junior college. The name was changed to Westmoorland College in 1918 and to the University of San Antonio in 1937. In 1942 the institution passed out of Methodist control, and the University of San Antonio was merged with Trinity University.