The San Antonio, Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company was chartered on January 3, 1913, to connect Fredericksburg with the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company near Waring, a distance of about twenty-five miles. The capital stock was $30,000, and the principal place of business was Fredericksburg. Members of the first board of directors were R. A. Love of Kansas City, and Foster Crane, M. H. Trice, R. L. Cunningham, J. H. Haile, F. F. Ludolph, and George D. Campbell, all of San Antonio. Prior to October 1912 citizens of Gillespie County organized a committee that secured subscriptions for $200,000 in cash donations plus right-of-way donations and contracted with Love to transfer the donations to him, provided that he build a railroad to Fredericksburg. Love contracted the actual building of the railroad to Crane, which completed the 23½-mile line between Fredericksburg Junction and Fredericksburg on November 1, 1913. The contractor received the $200,000 in cash donations, but was unable to collect $13,000 of the amount. In addition, Love had to give his note for $134,070, as the funds available were insufficient to construct the line, which included a 920-foot tunnel. This was one of six railroad tunnels eventually constructed in Texas, but the only one in use at that time. In 1916 the company owned two locomotives and one car and reported passenger earnings of $10,000 and freight earnings of $36,000. However, the road was not profitable, and the SAF&N was unable to meet its operating expenses and payments on the note it assumed from Love. The company was operated by a receiver from October 28, 1914, until it was sold under foreclosure on December 31, 1917, to Martin Carle who deeded the property to the Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company.