San Antonio National Cemetery, on a six-acre tract on Paso Hondo Street, was established in 1867. Burial was granted military personnel and eligible dependents if death occurred while they were on active duty or retired from the army if the last discharge was honorable. The San Antonio National Cemetery closed in 1931, and Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery took its place in 1934–35. The wives of military personnel already interred at the cemetery were still allowed burial there.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “San Antonio National Cemetery,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 24, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/san-antonio-national-cemetery.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.