San Felipe Creek

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995

San Felipe Creek rises six miles northwest of Farm Road 2523 in southeastern Val Verde County (at 29°29' N, 100°49' W) and flows southwest for eighteen miles to its mouth on the Rio Grande, one-half mile south of the bridge to Mexico (at 29°20' N, 100°55' W). The stream has dissected limestone, shale, siltstone, and clay to form its valley. Its path also crosses flat terrain over wash deposits and terraces of gravel, sand, silt, and clay. Soils of the area are generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams. The vegetation consists primarily of water-tolerant hardwoods and conifers, pecans, oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. The creek was named by Spanish missionaries who arrived there on Saint Philip's Day in 1635. In the fall of 1852 Dr. Arthur C. V. Schott, a naturalist, engineer, physician, and watercolorist with the Green-Chandler expedition to survey the Rio Grande, returned to Fort Duncan by way of San Felipe Creek. Camp San Felipe was established near the mouth of the creek in 1857 as an army outpost of Fort Clark.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “San Felipe Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 17, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995