San Jose, TX (Bexar County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


San José was two miles east of the junction of Loop 410 and State Highway 16, eight miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County. The settlement was named for its proximity to San José y San Miguel de Aguayo Mission. It became a station on the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad in 1912. A post office opened in 1910. W. H. Taliaferro, S. J. Crump, and J. N. Leard operated local businesses, and by 1915 the population reached 150. After the population decreased to fifty by 1920, the post office was replaced by rural delivery from Terrell Wells. In 1940 one business and a population of fifty were reported. After World War II the community faded and was no longer shown on maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “San Jose, TX (Bexar County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/san-jose-tx-bexar-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Loading