San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes Mission

By: Donald E. Chipman

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 11, 2020


Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes was the sixth and last mission founded in East Texas by the Ramón expedition of 1716–17. After the return of Ramón's brother, the second Diego Ramón, and Louis Juchereau de St. Denis from a trip to Mobile, this mission was founded in early 1717 for the Adaes Indians at the site of present-day Robeline, Louisiana. During the so-called "Chicken War" (1719) in East Texas, the Los Adaes mission was easily captured by Philippe Blondel and half a dozen Frenchmen, who launched an attack from nearby Natchitoches. The brief war led to the total abandonment of the East Texas outposts and the retreat by displaced missionaries, soldiers, and civilians to San Antonio. When the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo reclaimed East Texas in 1721, he set up Nuestra Señora del Pilar Presidio a short distance from the abandoned mission site. With limited success at best, the reestablished Los Adaes mission remained active until 1773, when it was again abandoned upon enforcement of recommendations made by the Marqués de Rubí. The New Regulations for Presidios acknowledged that Spain's acquisition of Louisiana in 1762 had negated the importance of this mission.

Donald E. Chipman, Spanish Texas, 1519–1821 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1992). Robert S. Weddle, San Juan Bautista: Gateway to Spanish Texas (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1968).

Categories:

  • Exploration
  • Missions, Presidios, and Camps
  • Religion
  • Catholic
  • Architecture
  • Missions
  • Presidios
  • Pueblos

Time Periods:

  • Spanish Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Donald E. Chipman, “San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes Mission,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 08, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/san-miguel-de-linares-de-los-adaes-mission.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 11, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading