San Saba Masonic College


By: Alice Gray Upchurch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


San Saba Masonic College, at San Saba, was established in 1860 and chartered on December 11, 1863. It was donated to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1879 and was rechartered on May 25, 1885, under the name of San Saba College. The church discontinued the school after 1886, but it reopened briefly in the 1890s as a nonsectarian college. George H. Hagan was the principal in 1892.

Alice Gray Upchurch, "A Sketch History of San Saba County," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 50 (July 1946). Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Colleges and Universities
  • Religion
  • Freemasonry

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alice Gray Upchurch, “San Saba Masonic College,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 11, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/san-saba-masonic-college.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995