Sand Flat, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Sand Flat, a crossroads church community on Farm roads 857 and 1255, fourteen miles northeast of Canton in northeastern Van Zandt County, was named for its location on level sandy land. In 1936 it had twenty-five residents, two churches, two businesses, a school, and a number of dwellings. The Padgett Cemetery was a mile away on Farm Road 857. A 1965 highway map showed two churches and a cemetery at the site, but by 1981 only the cemetery and scattered dwellings remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Sand Flat, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-flat-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Sand Flat
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379019
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Fulton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.62735530°
  • Longitude: -95.65051670°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2009