Sand Flats is a dispersed rural community located north of Farm Road 1146 near Lake Limestone in the northwestern corner of Leon County. Named for the region's sandy soils, this area developed as a farming settlement in the mid-1800s. In the 1870s one of the earliest settlers, Seaborn Curtis Foley, operated a stage line that came through the area. Though the community of Sand Flats never had a church or school, the region saw considerable agricultural commerce with the operation of gins in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Activity in the region declined during the Great Depression of the 1930s. By the late twentieth century much of the surrounding area was strip-mined for coal. In 2000 the population was thirty-two.