Sand Hill, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Sand Hill is a dispersed rural community a mile north of Farm Road 489 and six miles north of Butler in southeast Freestone County. It once had a school, which had thirty-nine black pupils in 1893 and seventeen in 1903. In the 1930s the community consisted of a school and a number of scattered dwellings, and by the 1960s four churches, including the Pilgrim's Rest and Pine Hill churches, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings existed. In the late 1980s the churches remained.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Sand Hill, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-hill-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Sand Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380489
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.72239220°
  • Longitude: -95.93079650°