Sand Hill, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

Updated: February 2, 2021


Sand Hill is a community four miles southwest of Center in southern Shelby County. In 1903 there was a White common school district named Sand Hill that served thirty-four children. The community named Sand Hill, however, is a predominantly Black rural community that was probably named for the deep, sandy soils and the numerous hills in the area. The town developed around Mount Horeb Baptist Church, which was organized around 1908. In 1988 the community had the church, a cemetery, and scattered houses.

Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Sand Hill, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-hill-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995
February 2, 2021

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Sand Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1367607
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.74239750°
  • Longitude: -94.19325380°