Sand Hollow, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Sand Hollow, a farming and stock-raising community, was near Sand Hollow Creek seven miles northeast of Pearsall in east central Frio County. The Sand Hollow school was constructed sometime around 1900, and in 1906 it had twenty-six students and one teacher. The schoolhouse also served as the community center and as a site for religious gatherings. In 1929 the school and a community cemetery were still in the area, and in 1948 the Sand Hollow community had the cemetery site surrounded by a dozen or so farms. The cemetery was shown on a 1989 map, but by that time the community appears to have been abandoned. The Sand Hollow Road to the cemetery runs east off Farm Road 2779.

Mrs. W. A. Roberts, "Frio County Has a Colorful History," Frontier Times, June 1936.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Sand Hollow, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-hollow-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Sand Hollow
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Frio County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.92531500°
  • Longitude: -98.98807300°