Sand Springs Church, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

Updated: February 10, 2021


Sand Springs Church, also known as Sand Spring and as Sand Springs, is a rural community at the intersection of two country roads by Gal Creek, three miles east of Alderbranch and thirteen miles southeast of Palestine in southeastern Anderson County. The community had a post office called Sand Spring from 1850 to 1851. In 1932 the Sand Springs district school served some twenty-two White pupils, and during the 1940s the townsite included the school and one dwelling. By 1955 the Sand Springs school had consolidated with that of Slocum, and in 1985 all that remained at the site was Sand Springs Church. No trace of the community was shown on county maps in 2000.

Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Sand Springs Church, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-springs-church-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995
February 10, 2021

Place
Sand Spring
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Associated Names

-s

-Church