Sand, TX (Bastrop County)


By: Paula Mitchell Marks

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sand, named for the sandy post oak lands surrounding it, was in the far eastern corner of Bastrop County near the intersection of the Bastrop, Lee, and Fayette county lines. Ernest J. Lawrence opened a Sand post office in his general store in 1898. In 1900 the community had a sawmill and twenty-five people. In 1910 it supported a cotton gin, an apiary, and a sorghum mill, and its population stood at thirty-five. But the community soon declined, and the post office closed in 1929. By 1946 Sand had disappeared from county maps. No population figures are listed for Sand in twentieth-century Texas Almanacs.

Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Paula Mitchell Marks, “Sand, TX (Bastrop County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sand-tx-bastrop-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sand
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bastrop County
Associated Names

Hillger

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.05290400°
  • Longitude: -97.02890300°