Sandhill, TX (Floyd County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Sandhill is at the junction of Farm roads 784 and 378, nine miles west of Floydada and ten miles southwest of Lockney in southwestern Floyd County. The area was settled before 1900. A school was built in 1892, and the community was designated a voting precinct by 1896. A post office, established in 1902, was known as Mickey for the names of several postmasters. Sandhill was one of thirty-two rural school districts in the 1920s. A school continued in the community until it was consolidated with that of Floydada in the 1950s. The Sandhill store, which was run by Mrs. Louise Shurbet from 1940 to 1984, continued to operate, as did the Sandhill elevator. Regional crops include corn, seed maize, wheat, and cotton. Early settler family names were Miller, Shurbet, Mickey, Fox, Mackey, McLain, Darby, and McClesky. The post office was discontinued in 1943. In the 1980s the population was estimated at forty. By 2000 the population was thirty-three.

Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979). Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Sandhill, TX (Floyd County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sandhill-tx-floyd-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Sandhill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380492
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Floyd County
Associated Names

Mickey

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.99341130°
  • Longitude: -101.47960750°
Population Counts
People Year
33 2009