Sandy Hill, TX


By: Carole E. Christian

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sandy Hill is on Sandy Hill Road and Farm Road 2621 near its junction with Farm Road 50, nine miles west of the Brazos River and eight miles northeast of Brenham in northeastern Washington County. A hill, with an elevation of 343 feet, lies on Hardeman Branch near Little Rocky Creek. The community was founded by German immigrants and developed in the early twentieth century. St. Matthew's Lutheran Church was organized in 1907 and constructed its current church building in 1915. In 1912 it joined the Texas Synod. The population of Sandy Hill recovered from a Great Depression low of ten in 1936 to an estimated fifty by 1945. It remained fifty through 2000. The community's main economic activity is ranching.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Carole E. Christian, “Sandy Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sandy-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sandy Hill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379025
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Washington County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.27798950°
  • Longitude: -96.32579700°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until October 17, 2025
Adopted by:
Mary and Joe Hughes
Dedication Message:
In memory of Willie Mae Heidemann Quinlan