Sandy is at the junction of Farm roads 1320 and 1323, seven miles northwest of Johnson City in northwestern Blanco County. In the mid-nineteenth century settlers moved to Sandy from the Deep South, drawn to the area by the abundant water and fertile, sandy soil. In spite of frequent raids by Indians, a Sandy post office was established in 1872. The communities of Hickory, Spring Creek, and White Oak had been established nearby by the early 1880s. Each settlement had its own one-room school, but by 1925 all had merged into one at Sandy, and two teachers were hired to work there. This school was later consolidated with the schools at Johnson City. According to estimates, the population in Sandy fluctuated after 1925 but never rose above thirty. In the 1980s the post office there served only twenty-five residents, most of whom were involved in the turkey industry. Through 2000 the population was still reported at twenty-five.