Sanford and Northern Railway

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995

Font size: A / A reset

The Sanford and Northern Railway Company was built during the oil boom of the late 1920s. It was at first privately owned by the Riverside Sand and Gravel Company and used to haul gravel from the company's gravel pit at Riverside in Hutchinson County. When the company was bought by the Moore and Moore Land and Gravel Company the new owners applied for a charter from the state, which was granted on May 16, 1931. The railroad had one small locomotive and twenty cars to haul its gravel over 1½ miles of track. It was one of several railroads claiming to be the shortest chartered road in the country. For a few years the Sanford and Northern had a working agreement with the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company, which ran through Sanford, to share revenues of the caliche it hauled for road building. Moore owned the palatial private car of Hetty Green, legendary eastern capitalist. The car was parked on a siding and used as living quarters until it caught fire and burned. Revenues soon declined, and the railroad was abandoned.

Hutchinson County Historical Commission, History of Hutchinson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980). S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981). F. Stanley, Story of the Texas Panhandle Railroads (Borger, Texas: Hess, 1976).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Sanford and Northern Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 20, 2021,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995