The architectural firm Sanguinet and Staats was founded in 1903 by Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl G. Staats. Sanguinet, who was twelve years older than Staats, moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and practiced architecture there with a variety of partners until the turn of the century. Staats, a native New Yorker, moved to Texas in 1891 and worked for noted San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon until 1898, when he was hired by Sanguinet as a draftsman. Sanguinet and Staats headquartered in Fort Worth and rapidly developed one of the state's largest architectural practices; they produced buildings of all types from factories and large hotels to churches and schools. The firm is best known, however, for its contributions to the design of steel-framed skyscrapers. Almost every tall building constructed in Fort Worth before 1930, and for a time the tallest structures in Beaumont, Houston, Midland, and San Antonio, were designed by Sanguinet and Staats. The twenty-story Amicable Insurance Company Building in Waco, completed in 1911, was for a brief time the tallest building in the Southwest. Other prominent examples include the First National Bank Building, Houston (1905), the Flatiron Building, Fort Worth (1907), the Scarbrough Building, Austin (1910), the C. F. Carter Building, Houston (1919), the South Texas Building, San Antonio, (1919), the Neil P. Anderson Building, Fort Worth (1920), and the Jackson Building, Jackson, Mississippi (1923). The firm designed in a variety of styles and forms that transformed the scale and style of the state's rapidly growing cities. In addition to large commercial buildings, Sanguinet and Staats also designed a number of large residences, especially on Pennsylvania Avenue in Fort Worth and Courtland Place in Houston, where examples still stand.
Sanguinet and Staats was one of the first firms to use a large office team of architects, engineers, and other support people. The firm, which had branch offices in Dallas, Wichita Falls, San Antonio, Waco, and Houston, was also among the first Texas architectural enterprises to have a statewide practice. In 1922 Wyatt C. Hedrick bought a partial interest in Sanguinet and Staats. The new practice was known as Sanguinet, Staats, and Hedrick, and the Houston branch operated as Sanguinet, Staats, Hedrick, and Gottlieb, under the direction of R. D. Gottlieb, a limited partner. That arrangement lasted until 1926, when Sanguinet and Staats officially retired and sold their share of the firm to Hedrick. Thereafter, Hedrick continued the practice under his own name in Fort Worth and in limited partnerships in Houston and later Dallas.