Saspamco, TX


By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Saspamco is on the northern bank of the San Antonio River off U.S. Highway 181, eleven miles northeast of Floresville in western Wilson County. Its name was derived from the initials of the San Antonio Sewer Pipe Manufacturing Company, which around 1901 began using the red clay of the area for the manufacture of tile products. Also in 1901, a post office opened there. A loading switch on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway became the nucleus of the community, which by 1915 had a population of 125, Baptist and Catholic churches, three grocers, two general stores, a hotel, a cotton gin, and a dairy. In the late 1930s Saspamco reported 200 residents; at that time the pipe plant employed about 150 people and had a production capacity of 120 tons of sewer pipe a day. By the mid-1960s the town had 300 residents and six businesses. Thereafter the population grew slowly, though most of the businesses closed. In 1990 Saspamco reported 443 residents and one business. The population remained the same in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Saspamco, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/saspamco-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Saspamco
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1367786
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.23440740°
  • Longitude: -98.29584500°
Population Counts
People Year
300 2009
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until June 9, 2023
Adopted by:
Murillo Family
Dedication Message:
In honor of Miguel Murillo, who's knowledge knew no bounds.