Sattler, ten miles northwest of New Braunfels in the hills of east central Comal County, has also been known as Mountain Valley, for the local school, and as Walhalla, for the Walhalla Singing Club organized there in 1877. The post office was named for William Sattler when it opened in his home in 1856. Sattler had settled in Comal Town in 1846 and at Mountain Valley in 1853. Later the post office was moved to a general store, which became a business and social center for area farmers and ranchers. Part of the Sattler community extended into Hidden Valley, which was settled in 1863. The valley comprised more than 1,000 acres of farmland on the west bank of a bend in the Guadalupe River. Sattler had an estimated twenty-five residents until shortly after World War II. Records suggest it was virtually deserted by the 1950s; its revival in the mid-1960s followed the completion of nearby Canyon Dam and the inundation of the valley above Sattler. Thereafter Sattler served residents and tourists of the Canyon Lake area. Its population was estimated at thirty in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.