Savannah, TX (Red River County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Savannah was southeast of the site of present-day Annona in southeast Red River County. The community was named Savannah because many of its early settlers were from Savannah, Georgia. The town received a post office in 1846 with Andrew Jackson Titus as postmaster. In the early 1870s, when it became clear that the railroad would bypass Savannah to the north, the town of Walker Station, which later became Annona, was established on the proposed rail route, and Savannah began to decline. The post office was moved to Walker Station in 1874. In 1881 a newspaper correspondent of the Clarksville Standard visited Savannah briefly and claimed that he "found the place looking a little the worse for wear." Although a church and cemetery in southeastern Red River County still bore the name Savannah in 1951, the community itself had ceased to exist.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Savannah, TX (Red River County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/savannah-tx-red-river-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Savannah
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1984116
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

-Springs

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.53622230°
  • Longitude: -94.84521480°